LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-04 > 1018913102

From: Alison Causton <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Izca House, High Street, Chipping Barnet
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 19:29:33 -0400

Hello, Ken:

Ken Boyce wrote:
> that could be classed as being in the old "Chipping" Barnet Area and I'm
> curious to know from where you got the reference. Was/is there an
> Enumeration District with this name, if so then what area does it cover?

One of the Listers supplied me with a household listing from the 1881
census, the address for which said, "Izca House, High Street, Chipping
Barnet". I've taken a look at an online map (http://www.multimap.com),
and I'm inclined to believe that the street I want is the street that
starts off as "High Street" in Barnet, then veers off to the southeast
as "Barnet High Street" in Chipping Barnet. Ha! I agree with you on the confusion...

> I'm hoping that you or some other knowledgeable person can clarify for me
> the old boundaries of the Barnets.

Not me, I'm afraid: I'm an absolute newbie on both this ancestral line
(HUGGINS) and this part of England. If I learn anything earthshaking /
illuminating, I'll pass it on.

Alison

This thread: