LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-04 > 1018971302

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] MY FAMILY
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 16:35:02 +0100
In-Reply-To: <021201c1dcf6$dfeb4d50$719b2dcb@anarkeehvjf1qf>

> had anyone ever heard of this before of anyone working for the Royal family
>years ago they had houses on there Estate for some of there Staff to retire
>into. They were called GRACE & FAVOUR HOUSE.
These grace and favour residences were normally in the less used
palaces, like Hampton Court and Kensington Palace, and apartments were
granted to the more senior members of the Household - like ladies in
waiting or private secretaries (male), though some lesser folk
intimately connected with the family, like governesses, could be
honoured in this way. You would undoubtedly be able to find out about
these from the Royal Archivist, Windsor Castle, Windsor, Berks.

Eve McLaughlin

Author of the McLaughlin Guides for family historians
Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society

This thread: