LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-04 > 1019065602

From: Guy Etchells <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Question about Somerset House
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 18:50:25 +0100

I have probably misunderstood what you meant by
"This is as far as people could and would normally go at that time",
people could and certainly did research their lines at least 300 years
further back than 1837. My own grandfather lodged a printed pedigree
sheet with the Society of Genealogists in 1947 showing ancestry back to
1523.
Cheers
Guy

--
Wakefield England

http://freespace.virgin.net/guy.etchells Transcripts, Parish
Records, Calendar, Scaleable Map of Uk. Link to LDS website,
Abbreviations, Returns of Owners of Lands etc. etc.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~framland/dh/ Whitefield
Transcripts, Etch/ells Transcripts
http://gye.future.easyspace.com Worldwide Cemetery Links, Monumental
Inscriptions, War Graves, etc.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~framland/framland/york.htm
Yorkshire Pages, Photos, and transcripts with a Yorkshire flavour
--

> Probably almost entirely wrong. Somerset House, as most people saw it,
> then held the indexes of births, marriages and deaths from July 1837
> only. Events could be traced backwards from what was currently known to
> the family (perhaps at least as far as the 1890s or even 1860s, then).
> This is as far as people could and would normally go at that time.

This thread: