LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-04 > 1019128992

From: Craig Pickup <>
Subject: RE: [Lon] cow keepers
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 12:23:12 +0100

At 10:29 18/04/2002 +0100, Jean Hooper wrote:
>Yes. My family were from Cardiganshire and came to London to open Dairies.
>Cow keepers didn't necessarily mean that they worked on farms, it was a
>term for a milkman or dairyman.

You would be surprised at how many cow herd were in the London area. Here
is an extract from the Islington section of the Universal British
Directory, 1793:

"All the ground in the neighbourhood of Islington, in every direction,
which has not, during the present rage for building, been purchased or
rented for that purpose, is converted into brick-fields and for pasturage
for the many thousands of cows that are kept by the several cow-keepers in
the neighbourhood, and who supply the metropolis with milk. One cow-keeper
in this parish, the late Mr. Pulleyn, whose extensive business is now
carried on by Mr. West, is said to have constantly kept on thousand milch
cows, for the purpose before-mentioned. Indeed the number of cows which are
kept in this parish, and other of the outskirts of London, is incredible."

Craig Pickup

Genoot Ltd
Contact Details: http://www.genoot.com/contact.html
Family History Events: http://www.genoot.com/events