LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-04 > 1019169472

From: "Peter Piggott" <>
Subject: [Lon] Knocking down those final BRICKS
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 00:37:52 +0200

Hi Listers, Over the last four years I have received tremendous help and
advice from Listers both from UK and OZ and have been able to knock down
most of the 'brickwall' surrounding my maternal GGmother, however I have
gaps which I would like to fill in. To this end I once again request,
suggestions,advice,and guidance where to search .Here is the saga:
1. James Nash a Gunner in the RA most likely arrived in Sydney, Ex UK, in
Oct 1856 serving in 3rd Company/12 Battalion (later to become 3 Battery/12
Brigade)----the battery sailed for the UK onboard the Roxburgh Castle 29th
Jan 1865 landing in Portsmouth three months later----I have been unable to
locate the passenger list for either vessel.

2. In December 1858 Gunner James Nash born Middlesex 1837 married Thomasina
Dower born 1838 Cornwall, in Sydney NSW--- the marriage is not recorded in
NSW---The latter gleaned from the offspring birth certs.

3.The issue from the union was, William James born 10/ 6/1860 Government
Gardens Sydney, and Elizabeth Jane born 26/3/1863 Fort McQuarie
Sidney.-----(James Nash still a serving Gunner 1863)

4.On the 28/01/1868 at Yarra Bend Lunatic Asylum Thomasina Nash dies of a
stroke (Admitted seven months prior) the Death Cert states 'soldiers wife'

5. The 1881 Census shows Elizabeth Jane now aged 17 living with family of
Candle/taper makers in Poplar London The Head one John Mathews has
children born in N.Z. and Ireland before settling in London, one daughter
the same age as Elizabeth Jane born in N.Z. (birth not recorded in
N.Z,)----Mathews poss Ex soldier or related??

6.The marriage of the son William James to Mary A Kelly took place 10/5/1886
at the R.C. Church Hay NSW (There is minimal information on the
transcription)

7 Elizabeth Jane marries my GGfather Albert Piggott 1883---- her father is
shown as a Brickmaker on the Marriage Cert
Thank you for reading this far --any assistance gratefully received
Regards Pete Capetown

This thread: