LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-04 > 1019303094

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] 1901 ,can it be possible !!!
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 12:44:54 +0100

In message <>, Ron
Lankshear <> writes
>YES YES
>But what does "in a controlled way" mean? As per Sinatra song "I did it my
>way" or is this just a reference to being at FRC etc Offices first
>
>Once the testing is complete our aim is to make the online service available
>first at designated service centres in England and Wales.
That means FRC where there are multiple outlets, plus the libraries
which were in use when the abortive trials earlier in the year took
place, plus, presumably, other libraries which have since or will sign
up. I can imagine that if the service buckles, they will cut off the
libraries first, before FRC.
> This will allow us
>to ensure that all the technical enhancements function satisfactorily. Only
>then will the service be relaunched onto the Internet, in a controlled way,

This probably means that they will let a very small number of people in
on line and then close the electronic doors. It worked tolerably well
when we tried it at a preview in December -but this was in groups of six
max. So maybe they will let six on - or even, wow, ten - at a time.

>which is being prepared by QinetiQ and their contractors

> BT Ignite.
BT don't do anything as fast sounding as 'ignite'

--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society

This thread: