LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-04 > 1019303510

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] 1871 London Census
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 12:51:50 +0100

>I am not familiar with the 1871 London Census, could someone advise if it
>might be reasonable to look up someone by name only?

Not really at all. The 1871 census is barely touched as far as even
surname indexes are concerned. One man, Clive Ayton, is plugging away,
but it will take years to cover much.

>Charles Wass was in the 7th Royal Fusiliers and appeared in the 1881 Census
>living at the Hussars Barracks at Hounslow, Middlesex. He was aged 38 then
>and hopefully he may appear in the 1871 Census.
If he is a soldier, then following him via army records at Kew would be
sensible. He could have been anywhere with the army - but you can locate
the regiment and take it from there.

--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society