LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-04 > 1019309509

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] SHEFFIELD DIRECTORY - WILKINSON
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 14:31:49 +0100

>I have some ancestors living in the Sheffield area. Their names are
>WILKINSON and GREAVES. Joseph was possibly a Silversmith I think in
>South Street around that time and the GREAVES were Scissorsmiths.

Wilkinson is a famous name in Sheffield cutlery (Wilkinson Sword razors
and implements) BUT it is also a popular one and yours might not be
closely related, or related at all. However, a silversmith should be
listed in directories and a bit of work on censuses and registers may
establish a link.

--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society