LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-04 > 1019347714

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Wesleyan-Methodist denomination?
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 01:08:34 +0100

>Can anyone say when the Wesleyan-Methodist church was established.
>
>I have an ancestor married in the established church in 1763 but all the later
>famliy members from 1809 to the 1983 baptised in the Wesleyan-Methodist church.

Where they were baptised was immaterial - all marriages between 1754 and
1837 had to take place in the Church of England to be legal (except
those of Quakers and Jews).
In any case, John Wesley's idea was that his followers should remain
in communion with the Anglican church but improved it by importing
Method into its haphazard goings on. OInly after JW's death was there a
substantial move away from this view (and also a split in the Methodist
ranks)

--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society