LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-04 > 1019464308

From: Guy Etchells <>
Subject: Re:[Lon] Civilian dead in the Belmont area near Harrow
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:35:33 +0100

I have just been casually reading "The National Roll of the Great War
1914-18 - London" which is the London edition of the work and reproduced
on cd by Archivecdbooks..
I did not realise the scope of the book thinking that it only added
details to soldiers who had died but no, a typical entry follows.

"ABBOT, H. (M.S.M), Sergt., Grenadier Guards.
A serving soldier, who enlisted in 1896, he crossed to France with the
British Expeditionary Force at the outbreak of war. He remained overseas
for four years, during which time he fought in many important
engagements, notably the Retreat from Mons, and the Battles of Ypres and
the Somme. He was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal for consistently
good work in the Field, and after his return to England in 1918, was
engaged on important duties as master shoemaker, in which capacity he
was still serving at Pitbright in 1920.
In addition to the decoration won in the Field, he holds the Mons Star,
and the General Service and Victory Medals.
16A, Tennyson Street, S.W.8.
Z1005"

I presume the address at the bottom is the address of the person sending
the details in, probably next of kin.
Obviously this would not help with civilian dead in the 2nd World War
but it does show that details of soldiers who survived the great War are
in some cases available.
Cheers
Guy

--
Wakefield England

I use CDs produced by Archive CD Books to assist fellow researchers
http://www.archivecdbooks.org

http://freespace.virgin.net/guy.etchells Transcripts, Parish
Records, Calendar, Scaleable Map of Uk. Link to LDS website,
Abbreviations, Returns of Owners of Lands etc. etc.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~framland/dh/ Whitefield
Transcripts, Etch/ells Transcripts
http://gye.future.easyspace.com Worldwide Cemetery Links, Monumental
Inscriptions, War Graves, etc.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~framland/framland/york.htm
Yorkshire Pages, Photos, and transcripts with a Yorkshire flavour
--

> Dear List,
> My father was a teenager when WW2 started. Up until a few years ago, I had
> never heard him speak of his friends/school mates that were killed during
> this war. I was astonished to find out that his best friend's brother,
> Peter Robinson was shot down in his parachute and that another friend had
> been on a torpedoed ship--not to mention that the same best friend spent a
> year in hospital with a broken back as the result of an aborted take--off.
> But, it was his mention of the fate of Elizabeth Holden, the beautiful
> red-haired girl, that he used to go dancing with on Saturday nights, at the
> Northgate Hotel, that made me realize the enormous impact that the war had
> had on him.
>
> Elizabeth lived in Belmont, not far from Harrow where my father grew up.
> According to my him, she and her parents were killed by a direct hit in 1941
> when she would have been about eighteen or nineteen. (She was his first
> love, and he took her to his sister's wedding in 1939).
>
> I went to the war graves site to check out the civilian dead and her name
> was not there. Then, I spoke with my father, who thought that she might
> have been in the WAAF, so I rechecked the site to see if there was a WAAF
> catagory and there wasn't. Until I can check the death indexes at the LDS,
> it would seem that his story doesn't hold true--and yet my father has an
> amazing memory and most of what he has told me about the past is "bang on."
>
> Could she have been missed? As I don't know the names of her parents, it is
> difficult to assess which catagory she would have been in as a civilian or
> as serving in the war. Was Belmont bombed during the war?
>
> This has a particular interest for me and any suggestions or ideas would be
> most welcome.
>
> Chris

This thread: