LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-04 > 1019484036

From: "Roger Lovegrove" <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] A Question of Correct Terminology
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 15:00:36 +0100

> My question arises from the circumstance where an illegitimate male
child, at birth, is given the family name of the mother, and in later
(adult) years he has his name changed to reflect the family name of his
biological father.
> For the purpose of making solid genealogical records, is it
appropriate, in this circumstance, to use the term "nee" or is it more
appropriate to use a term such as "born"?

Maybe someone else knows better, but I don't think there is a standard
terminology to cover this.

Personally, I avoid "nee" since I consider it would only cause confusion
rather than remove it. So I use "born as".

But it all depends on the software (if any) you're using, and on the
space (eg. field-width) available.

Researching LOVEGROVEs in all places and at all times.
Please do visit the LOVEGROVE Information Centre on

This thread: