LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-04 > 1019490906

From: "John Henley" <>
Subject: [Lon] Re:Church in Battersea
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 16:55:06 +0100

Hi Pam,
----- Original Message ----- From: "Pam Dale" <>
> I have a marriage certificate for 1869 for Christ Church, Parish of
Battersea, County of Surrey, Registration district of Wandsworth. Probably
Church of England.
It was Cof E. BUT the certificate itself always gives the denomination in
the line under the boxes - "Married according to the Rites and Ceremonies of
the ____________"
If it says "Established Church that is Church of England.

> > Does anyone know if this church still exists and where it is?
> > Thanks in anticipation.> > Pam in sunny Brisbane Queensland Australia

Christ Church Battersea near the corner of Battersea Park Road and Falcon
Road is still there ands open. Built in 1849, It was blitzed in WW2 and
rebuilt 1959. Many of the fittings from St.Stephen's Battersea transferred
there when that church was closed.
HTH
Cheers

John Henley
(still catching up on masses of emails )
using Archive CDs - see
http://www.archivecdbooks.org
and researching (and not finding much time for - but always very glad to
hear of any)
HENLEY, PARKER, PRENTICE, SECKER, RAPER, DURDEN
[IN London/Middx./Essex/Suffolk]
ROLFE, (O)RAFFERTY, EVANS, PARSONS, SYMONDS [IN Berks/Hants/Wilts]
HILL [IN Staffs/Cambs/Berks]

This thread: