LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-04 > 1019498683

From: Bret Busby <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Relationship question.
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 02:04:43 +0800 (WST)

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 21:59:59 nzst
> Subject: [Lon] Relationship question.
> Hello.
>
> After a solid year of sending and hoping and fishing, last week I finally found
> a relation. - ( Today I
> confirmed another one for another family!!) NEVER GIVE UP!
>
> The first one is related by:
> His Grandfather is my Great Grandmothers Brother.
> While this does not put us on the Christmas gift list - can someone point me
> in the direction of
> maybe a site that will tell me what relations we are? -
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Kay
> Confused in NZ.

Hello, Kay.

I'm not surea about a URL for a website that will tell you the
relationship.

However, from my understanding, you take the lowest number of generations,
which is the grandfather relationship. Now, a father's sibling's child,
would make a relation your first cousin. A grandfather's sibling's
grandchild, would make a relation your second cousin. A difference of a
generation, between your link to one of the siblings, and, your relative's
link to one of the siblings, would make you once removed.

So, my understanding, is that you are second cousins, once removed.

By the way, where is the place named Confused, in NZ? I was raised in NZ,
and, I don't remember a place by that name.
:)

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Douglas Adams, 1988