LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-04 > 1019783047

From: "kerry prentice" <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Private school
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 02:04:07 +0100

Hi Margaret

Firstly Walthamstow was in the county of Essex in 1851.

I have several books on Walthamstow (sadly born and bred there, though it
was a lovely place to live in the 1800, it was described as " The largest
and Handsomest suburban village near the Metropolis, having many fine villas
and a good share of notable residence")........

Chestnuts Walk apparently was off of Lea Bridge Road, Walthamstow.

However , I can find no reference to an OXFORD HOUSE, only an ORFORD HOUSE,
(built between 1800-1822, it's now the Walthamstow Conservative Club). there
is no mention of it being a School. There is a house called THE
CHESTNUTS(which was a large house where Elizabeth Cromwell ,one of Oliver
Cromwell's daughter's lived),it's still standing and is now used as a higher
education centre.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but perhaps the following web site might be
of some help...it's the Waltham Forest Archives..they will be able to help
you (they are based in Vestry Road ,Walthamstow. The following link will
give you some info about them including address and telephone number.
http://www.lbwf.gov.uk/leisure/vestry/vest_archive.stm

Best Wishes
Kerry