LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-04 > 1019861912

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: [Lon] EVERILDA BURTON / BIRD
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 23:58:32 +0100

In message <000101c1ec3f$9b488340$>, gillian boots
<> writes
>I have the name EVERILDA passed down through at least 4 generations. Has anyone
>else come across this first name?
>
>I heard from my great Aunt that there was an Everilda who married a ? BIRD.

Not common, certainly, but did exist, mainly among people of literary
bent, or among travellers who had heard actors rehearsing. Dimly in the
distance, the name Everilda Kingston rings a gentle bell.

It sounds like one of the Saxon left overs (like Gunhilda, Collebury,
Wyborough etc, which were given out of compliment to Granny, who got
hers as a compliment to her granny etc
--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society