LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-05 > 1020756298

From: Dian Elvin <>
Subject: [Lon] Register pages
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 17:31:06 +1000

Dear Listers

I don't understand all this tearing out of register pages. Surely there are
other people's records on the other side or on the same page? Very odd
indeed. Do you think registrars become a little neurotic after a while?

When I was being married for the second time at the age of 50, in a UK
registry office, I noticed the previous entry and laughed. This produced a
strange reaction on the part of the registrar and she covered the entry with
a sheet of paper saying "You are not supposed to look at that!" and glared
at me as though I was a small child. Difficult not to see something in
front of one's nose and difficult not to laugh when recognising the surname
of a young man who had crashed into the back of my orange 2CV with his
little white VW beetle only a couple of weeks before. The headlights of his
car fell out like eyes on stalks. This was the second time he had done this
at the same junction and his father had paid for the damage to my car and no
doubt the previous car. The father was getting married and the young man was
his witness. It was quite a co-incidence and it still makes me laugh.

No way could the page have been torn out without ruining at least two
records.

Dian

This thread: