LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-05 > 1022618444

From: Richard Carruthers-Zurowski <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Re: Delicate Handling
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 13:40:44 -0700

My maternal aunt died two years ago, and my mother flew to California for
the funeral of her sister. Going through my aunt's papers (her husband was
still living, but had had a stroke), her children discovered that she had
been married once before. They asked my mother about this, as my aunt had
become quite a strict Baptist while in the States, and discountenanced any
marital blips. My mother had to own up that she had been a bride's maid
during this wartime wedding at the Anglican cathedral here. Mum had kept the
secret until her niece and nephews were faced with the proof and were asking
questions.The truth will eventually out it seems. For the two out of three
that had their own divorces, it seems that the revelations came as a bit of
a relief. Pious mater had been young once too!
Richard H.B. Carruthers(-Zurowski), B.A. (Hons), Oxon.
Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA