LONDON-L ArchivesArchiver > LONDON > 2002-06 > 1025091890
From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Daisy Edith Lillian Blackman mystery
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:44:50 +0100
In message <>, writes
>I have in my tree the above named born 14 Sept 1923. This has been verified
>by her son. I have sent away for her birth certificate to the ONS but my
>letter was returned with a short note saying that they could find no record
>of her after a 1922 - 1924 search.
How 'verified'? He only knows what he was told, in the absence of a
1. she was really a couple of years older, was born on 14 September, but
in ?1920, 21 etc - check the GRO indexes further back.
2. She was born on that date but not in that name. Check under the
maiden name of her mother
3. She is there buit spelled very differently - Like Patterson as
Pattingson or Padderson or Potterson. Try a bit of creative searching.
4. She was known by the name of a stepfather whom her mother married
while she was a small child. check for remarriage.
5. she was not registered at all. It did happen even then, if people
missed the 6 weeks deadline. (From 1939, you registered or else no
Are there any known siblings, whose certificate can be got, to try the
maiden name as above.
Author of the McLaughlin Guides for family historians
Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society