LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-08 > 1028188272

From: "rita a gerrard" <>
Subject: [Lon] Re: Infant mortality rates circa 1600 1700's
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 08:51:12 +0100

Hello Joan and Listers,

Joan asked: "Joan Mayhew < ..>Incidentally, has anyone
made an educated guess as to what the infant mortality rate was - say in the
early 1700's?

Have just had a look in my book "TheFamily, Sex and Marriage In England
1500-1800", Author Lawrence Stone, Publisher Penguin under their Peregrine
banner. Mine is an abridged edition, last printed 1988!

Under The Demographic Facts subject Death, I quote briefly, only relevant
passages - ..the constant presence of death....Death was a normal occurence
..in all ages ... Urban populations particularly at risk. ...the last two
thirds of the 16thC mortality declined for a time...............it did not
last into the 17thC when death rose to very high levels......The cause
...unknown .perhaps expansion of world commerce carried unknown and new
viruses and bacteria, . local immunity had not built up. ...smallpox much
more widespread and much more lethal

In England 1640s life expectation at birth was 32 years. .the rural
England situation was better, ..a quarter and a third of all children
English peers and peasants. were dead before age fifteen. . not until after
1750 the English level of infant and child mortality began to fall.

There is a fascinating amount of further information in this book on life
and death and sex and marriage. I would recommend it to anyone interested in
how our families lived and thought in the time period. [you could probably
borrow it from the Library]

Sincerely,

Rita A GERRARD

Interests
London
PEASE, EDGHILL, GRIFFIN - Wood Green, WATERS, HARRIS 1 [Hackney] HARRIS 2
[Battersea] PAINTER Marylebone and Islington. RAWSON.

Essex
PEASE - lots back to 1700's, [SPARROW and BRADDOCK - Gt Burstead - just
started these]

Dorset
GERRARD, CHILDS, RUSSELL, HOSKINS, MABEY, WHETHAM, EVELEIGH, HEWITT,
LAWRENCE/LARRANCE, and others too numerous to mention.

Wiltshire, Somerset, Hampshire
GERRARD, JERRARD, LAWSON, DUKE, DE LARA

Devon, GERRARD, JERRARD

Lancashire
GERRARD, ASHTON, VALENTINE, RIDING. [FORD - 17th Cent]

I use the following for my research:
ARCHIVE CD BOOKS - old books for genealogists reproduced on CD on a non
profit basis

Mailing list: (friendly discussions)
Weekly News: (weekly news & announcements)
E-mail:
Web: http://www.archivecdbooks.org

This thread: