LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-08 > 1028774020

From: "Trevor and Jill" <>
Subject: RE: [Lon] Law Apprenticeship
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 12:03:40 +0930

I am not aware of the practice in England but certainly when I started in
that field it was necessary to have a law degree and then move on to do
articles for a year. You could not be a lawyer or solicitor without the
degree. Anyone can be a barrister - they are solicitors who appear in court
and if you can afford a place in chambers then you can hang your shingle
there. A law clerk would not have had any particular training - just picked
up experience along the way. Articled clerks, when first out of university
were allowed to do things like weed the garden beds (if there were any), go
to the pub and pick up the booze and nibbles for the friday night "get
together" and draft the odd document. As time passed they were allowed into
court to seek adjournments. This was generally because the Magistrate was a
horror and was going to do a lot of yelling before granting the
adjournment - backbone building! You then moved onto the legal aid clients
and guilty pleas. During the 1980's the articled clerk system was done away
with and young lawyers spent an extra year at university doing workshops
with pretend clients. I understand that they have re-introduced articled
clerks and students may choose between the two systems. Some lawyers did
spend 5 years in part-time articles but they still needed to get a degree.

This of course is from my own perspective and may certainly have been
different in the 1800's in England.

Kind regards
Jill