LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-08 > 1029347685

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Wills - where do I find one?
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 18:54:45 +0100

In message <003b01c24366$0b35de00$>, Sheelagh Hawkins
<> writes
>Hi folks,
>I know this has been covered before, but I couldn't track down the query in
>the archives, so forgive me for asking again.
>I have an Edward RENDLE who died in Camberwell lunatic asylum on 28. Aug.
>1915.
If he made a will, then sending a fiver to District Probate Registry,
Duncombe Place, York YO1 (quoting name, date and place) would get a
copy. However, a lunatic cannot legally make a will, so unless one pre-
existed, there won't be one, only an administration of the estate by the
next of kin (wife, son/s)
However, if his wife survived him, try for her will.
>How would I find out if he left a will? He was a medical student at the time
>of his marriage, and of independent means

>Also would there have been an inquest or post mortem for a death of
>syphilis?

Not if he was being regularly treated for GOI at the time and died of
that (seems likely) rather than something like falling in the fire etc.

>If so where would I be likely to find those records? He is
>supposed to have died fighting in France, so to find him in an asylum has
>brought me to a full stop.
People often sanitised unwelcome information -so many people died in
France then it was a reasonable fib.

--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society