LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-08 > 1029588548

From: "William O'Brien" <>
Subject: [Lon] GUNARD
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 13:49:08 +0100

Very many thanks to everyone who on and off list gave help and made suggestions regarding the GUNARD family.
I think I managed to thank everyone off list but if I missed anyone my apologies.

Unfortunately I am still up against a brickwall so just in case anyone missed my original query I am repeating it below together with a few additional details:-

My grandmother on my mother's side was a GUNARD and the family reputedly came from Ireland to London in the mid to late 1800s.
I have six UK Birth Certificates (including my mother's) dating between 1898 and 1909 all stating that the Mother's Maiden Name was GUNARD.

A search of the 1881 CD-ROM census lists only one (yes that's right only one) GUNARD family in the whole of the UK - and it isn't mine!
I have tried all the variations I can think of and all the suggestions from people on the list of the name GUNARD when searching the 1881 census but no luck.

Also when I was in London I searched at the FRC for the marriage certificate of JOHN GROGAN & JULIA GUNARD (the mother and father of the above 6 children) between 1887 and 1899 without success

Family hearsay says that at sometime, probably late 1800s or early 1900s the GUNARD family lived in SULTAN STREET, CAMBERWELL.
One kind sole on the list has already looked in the 1891 Census and guess what - they ain't there!
Well I'm not altogether surprised as those GUNARDs I know about were pretty long lived and the family hearsay could have referred to GUNARDs being in CAMBERWELL as late as the 1950s!

The scant details I have of them are:-

THOMAS GUNARD married a JULIA or MARY ???????

and their children, some of whom may well have been alive in Camberwell in
the 1950s, were:-

JULIA GUNARD born about 1869, died 6 January 1951 at 47 Harper Road, Southwark.
She married JOHN GROGAN in ????.
They were my Grandparents on my mother's side and their history after they were married is fairly well documented.

JACK GUNARD who was reputedly a Market Porter probably in Covent Garden

THOMAS GUNARD nothing known

JANE GUNARD nothing known

NANCY or HANNAH GUNARD who is said to have married a COKELY or COPELY.

All suggestions welcomed.

Bill (Brora, Sutherland, Scotland - who has retired a long way from his native HORNSEY, LONDON N.8 in the shadow of Ally Pally)

This thread: