LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-08 > 1029966705

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Adoption
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 22:51:45 +0100

In message <>,
Mike Askew <> writes
>Can anyone please help with the following.
>I have a family where the father died leaving a widow and 5 young children.
>The widow re-married but what it is not known whether the children
>subsequently took their stepfather's name.
>Presumeably taking the Stepfather's name could only result from formal
Not so. It was often the case that young children brought up in the
household of Mr Brown were known as Brown while there. (Formal; adoption
was impossible till 1926)
Whether they subsequently continued to use that name or reverted to
their original name would be a matter of personal preference - and could
depend on how well they were treated.
>. If so, would the children be re-registered
impossible pre 1927 - not normallydone even after this, for 5 children
- more often for one small baby.

Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society

This thread: