LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-08 > 1029966705

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Adoption
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 22:51:45 +0100

In message <>,
Mike Askew <> writes
>Can anyone please help with the following.
>I have a family where the father died leaving a widow and 5 young children.
>The widow re-married but what it is not known whether the children
>subsequently took their stepfather's name.
>Presumeably taking the Stepfather's name could only result from formal
>adoption
Not so. It was often the case that young children brought up in the
household of Mr Brown were known as Brown while there. (Formal; adoption
was impossible till 1926)
Whether they subsequently continued to use that name or reverted to
their original name would be a matter of personal preference - and could
depend on how well they were treated.
>. If so, would the children be re-registered
impossible pre 1927 - not normallydone even after this, for 5 children
- more often for one small baby.

--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society