LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-12 > 1040431449

From: "Brian Cave" <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] CHANGE OF SURNAMES
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 00:44:09 -0000

John asked, "Was it legal for a person to change their surname in the early
1900s, without the benefit of remarriage?
Would it have involved a 'change of name by deed-pole?

Hi John,

Someone asked a similar question about changing names earlier this month on
another list and the principles seem to apply to your question. I replied as
follows:-

Provided it is not done for fraudulent purposes there is no law to stop
anyone in the UK from changing their surname - merely by stating a desire to
be known by their newly chosen name - that's good enough, there is no need
to resort to the law to do this. Even the Income Tax office will accept a
name changed in this fashion.

However many people do in fact feel more comfortable if they change their
name by making a statutory declaration drawn up by a solicitor. A piece of
paper satisfies any need for proof of a name change.

There is also an instrument known as a Deed Poll, which is formally drawn
up by the Central Office of the Supreme Court - and costs are involved!!
This is sometimes resorted to in order to inherit a title or perhaps a large
estate; something of that nature.

There is a PRO leaflet giving advice on tracing name changes, and there was
an Index covering a period from about mid 18th-century to around 1900
published by, I think Phillimore.

HTH
Brian