LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2003-03 > 1046964889

From: "Roger Lovegrove" <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Fryer's again, Sorry
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 15:34:49 -0000

Liz wrote

<<If all the Fryer children (approx 8) were christened in St Mary
Magdalen, Bermondsey, would they have been living in Bermondsey or could
they be in another county?>>

Probably in Bermondsey.

> As I would like to find a copy of a birth record for one of these
children,
> as such I only have a christening date for most of the children, which
I got
> off the IGI, I have tried the FREEBMD but with not much success, I
have
> tried just Surrey and surrey with Southwark.
<snip>
> James Henry Fryer c: 1828 in Christening at Saint Mary Magdalene,
> Bermondsey, London, England
> Henry James Fryer c: May 22, 1831
> William Thomas Fryer c: May 22, 1831 Christening at Saint Mary
Magdalene,
> Bermondsey, London, England
> Jane Fryer c: February 21, 1836
> John Fryer c: March 12, 1837 in Sussex???, England
> Mary Ann Fryer c: February 18, 1838 Christening at Saint Mary
Magdalene
> Bermondsey, London, England
> Isabella Fryer c: October 20, 1839 Christening at Saint Mary Magdalene
> Bermondsey, London, England
> Robert Fryer c: February 06, 1842 Christening at Saint Mary
Bermondsey,
> London, England

You won't get birth registrations (and this means FreeBMD -which is all
about registrations- will not pick them up) for any dates before July
1837. So you can forget about getting birth records for

> James Henry Fryer c: 1828
> Henry James Fryer c: May 22, 1831
> William Thomas Fryer c: May 22, 1831
> Jane Fryer c: February 21, 1836

and (unless registration was delayed and they paid their 7s6d) for
> John Fryer c: March 12, 1837

I'm suspicious about the baptismal dates: they're too close together.
Children normally arrived at intervals of about 2 years, so to see
baptisms in each of the years 1836-1839 does not look right. A possible
explanation is that the three younger of those children died in infancy:
the death registrations, or your knowledge from elsewhere, would
indicate if that was the case.

The two on the same date in 1831 could be twins, but more likely the
parents were catching up on one of the children who had not been
baptised before.

The impression I get from all the dates is that, if they are correct and
there were not early deaths to explain the baptisms in successive years,
the parents might not have been overly-concerned about formalities. In
which case, they might not have registered the later children -people
frequently didn't in those days.

HTH

Regards
Roger LOVEGROVE

Researching LOVEGROVEs in all places and at all times.
Please do visit the LOVEGROVE Information Centre on
http://www.lovegrove.org.uk

This thread: