LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2003-05 > 1052678463

From: "John Henley" <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Fw: Spread Eagle Pub
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 19:41:03 +0100

Hi Phyllis,
----- Original Message ----- From: "Phyllis Gilbrook" <>
> Could someone please tell me what district the Spread Eagle Public House,
1 Kingsland Road, N.E. London would have been in? I think an ancestor,
John Johnson may have been the landlord in the 1890s. How can I check this?
Phyllis

The 1891 Census shows:
RG12/0243 fol.53b. page 8
Administrative County of [London]
Civil Parish of Shoreditch, Parliamentary Borough or Division of Shoreditch
Hoxton, Ecclesiastical Parish or District of St.Leonard.
Schedule 55
1, Kingsland Road "Spread Eagle"
William T WEBB, Head, Single, 23, Licensed Victualler, Employer, London,
Haggerston
William I. IZZARD, TIZARD or LIZARD, Servt. Single, 17, Barman, Employed,
London, Mile End
----------
You man appears to have arrived after April 1891!
He may still have been there in the 1901 census (online search), otherwise,
you could check the annual directories (Kelly's Post Office Directories) -
Guildhall Library has best run, tho' other large ref.libraries, like B'ham
or Manchester, may have them.
HTH
Cheers

John Henley
(still catching up on masses of emails )
using Archive CDs - see
http://www.archivecdbooks.org
and researching (and not finding much time for - but always very glad to
hear of any)
HENLEY, PARKER, PRENTICE, SECKER, RAPER, DURDEN
[IN London/Middx./Essex/Suffolk]
ROLFE, (O)RAFFERTY, EVANS, PARSONS, SYMONDS [IN Berks/Hants/Wilts]
HILL [IN Staffs/Cambs/Berks]

---