LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2003-08 > 1061749826

From: Guy Etchells <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Still Births
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 19:30:27 +0100

The Births and Deaths Registration Act 1874 has no requirement for
stillborn children to be registered, I assume that Mark Herber has been
confused by the requirements of sections 18 & 19 of the 1874 Act -

"18. A person shall not wilfully bury or procure to be buried the body
of any deceased child as if it were still-born.
A person who has control over or ordinarily buries bodies in any burial
ground shall not permit to be buried in such burial ground the body of
any deceased child as if it were still-born, and shall not permit to be
buried or bury in such burial ground any still-born child before there
is delivered to him either,-
(a.) A written certificate that such child was not born alive, signed by
a registered medical practitioner who was in attendance at the birth or
has examined the body of such child ; or
(b.) A declaration signed by some person who would, if the child had
been born alive, have been required by this Act to give information
concerning the birth, to the effect that no registered medical
practitioner was present at the birth, or that his certificate cannot be
obtained, and that the child was not born alive ; or
(c.) If there has been an inquest, an order of the coroner.
Any person who acts in contravention of this section shall be liable to
a penalty not exceeding ten pounds.
19. Where there is in the coffin in which any deceased person is brought
for burial the body of any other deceased person, or the body of any
still-born child, the undertaker or other person who has charge of the
funeral shall deliver to the person who buries or performs any funeral
or religious service for the burial of such body or bodies notice in
writing signed by such undertaker or other person, and stating to the
best of his knowledge and belief with respect of each body the following
particulars :
(a.) If the body is the body of a deceased person, the name, sex, and
place of abode of the said deceased person ;
(b.) If the body has been found exposed, and the name and place of abode
are unknown, the fact of the body having been so found and of the said
particulars being unknown ; and
(c.) If the body is that of a deceased child without a name, or a
still-born child, the name and place of abode of the father, or if it is
illegitimate, of the mother of such child.
Every person who fails to comply with this section shall be liable to a
penalty not exceeding ten pounds."

It was not until 1926 that still-births had to be registered.
Cheers
Guy

--
Wakefield, England
http://freespace.virgin.net/guy.etchells Framland facts at your

Help yourself, help archives, help others, with Archive CD Books
http://www.archivecdbooks.org
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~framland/CHURCH/church.htm
Churches & MIs. in the Wakefield Area

This thread: