LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2003-11 > 1068068600

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Workhouse Bermondsey area
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 21:43:20 +0000

In message <001b01c3a371$0b064ca0$>, Glenys Petry
<> writes
>Hi List
>
>George NOONE was baptised 1830 at St Mary Magdalene, Bermondsey, London.
>No father listed. His mother Sarah Ann NOONE gives her residence as "workhouse"
>Her occupation in the 1841 census was "dressmaker"
>

>Could SKS lister advise me if it is possible to find more information please
1830 is a period when workhouses were fairly rare except in towens and
cities, and were privately run by contractors, not officially by the
Union as after 1834. They were in the business of extracting the maximum
work and value from the paupers, often as cruelly as possible, and they
were not in the habit of keeping records which might be used against
them. So there is not likely to be much, though it is worth trying
Overseers' Records for the parish, in case they followed up the case and
tried to make the father pay maintenance, as was usual.
Southwark Local Studies library in Borough High Rd may be able to help
you.

--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society