LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2003-11 > 1068202663


From: "Heather Gordon" <>
Subject: Fw: [Lon] ST.PANCRAS CHURCHES REVISED[wasRe:Churches - St Pancras]
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 10:57:43 -0000


Hi Phyllis, As you can see this was posted to the site last year, hope it
will be of use to you. John has posted several articles on London Churches
to the site.

Cheers Heather

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Henley" <>
To: <>
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2002 7:48 AM
Subject: [Lon] ST.PANCRAS CHURCHES REVISED[wasRe:Churches - St Pancras]


> Listers may care to note this has been extensively revised. Corerections
> welcome as always - I'd be expecially grateful for information on All
> Saints' Gordon Square, for which the LMA has registers for 1843-1909.
> Hi Cyndi,
> ST.PANCRAS CHURCHES, 1890
> St Pancras old church has been there since Roman times (314), has a
6th.cent
> altar stone and some Norman features though heavily "restored" since.
> Entering the postcode NW1 1UL at http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ should find
it
> for you. St Pancras Old Church ceased to be the parish church of St
Pancras
> in 1822 when the St.Pancras New Church was opened and became a chapel of
> ease in the parish of St.Pancras.. In the 1852 Old St.Pancras was assigned
a
> parish again, known as Old St.Pancras. For an unknown period from 1863 it
> was known as Pancras Parish Chapel, befor reverting to Old St.Pancras
> again. It has a website.
> The LDS rather confusingly continues to call the registers for St.Pancras
> New, St Pancras Old.
> St.Pancras parish (which ended up with 33 ecclesiastical parishes by 1890)
> was a unit of civil government, a Vestry until 1900, becoming the
> Metropolitan Borough of St.Pancras, and then part of the London Borough of
> Camden in 1965. It was the seventh most populated borough [1881 - 236,000]
> in England, although not very large geographically.
> This list of St.Pancras churches 1890 may help, with date founded where
> known. St Pancras is the original parent parish of all. The presence of a
> number of chapels of ease in St.Pancras parish (before division) means
that
> baptism which took place in these appear to have been
> entered up from time to time in the main registers in blocks, out of date
> order with the main run.
> I've tried to comment about their IGI status, but if you go to
> www.familysearch.org and Browse > Browse
> Library Catalogue > Placename Search [enter St Pancras and select
> St Pancras, Middlesex - it is VERY picky about the spelling of St.Pancras,
> if no luck fist time try all possible variations - Saint Pancras,
StPancras,
> Pancras, and so on] > Church Records and Church Records-Indexes, you
> will see a list of all the LDS film holdings.
> Batch numbers are at these sites
> http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/nzsoghamilton/batchnumbers.htm
> and http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis
>
> Some churches may appear on the BVRI rather than the IGI.
> If on the IGI or BVRI then the LDS has a film of the registers.[which may
> not be complete].
> Registers should be with LMA, Northampton Row.see
> http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/family-research/registerSearchForm.asp
> and enter "Pancras" as key word
>
>
> *[New] St Pancras, Euston Road, [1822 - when opened replaced the next as
> parish church of all St.Pancras - see above notes] - IGI. Still in use
> *Old St.Pancras, Pancras Road [now St.Pancras Way]. [Roman? - see note
> above] Still in use
> *All Hallows, Shirlock Street, Gospel Oak [1894]. Also called 'North
> St.Pancras' still in use
> *All Saints, [Gordon Street] Gordon Square, St.Pancras [1843] gone
1909???.
> *All Saints, Camden Town, Camden Street [originally called Camden Chapel,
> 1824, separate parish 1852] from 1948 All Saints' Greek Orthodox Cathedral
> 1954 parish united to St.Michael's, Camden Road
> *Barracks Chapel, Albany Street, Regent's Park [non-parochial].
> *Christ Church, Albany Street (Redhill Street ) [1837] church now
> St.George's Greek Orthodox Cathedral, parish now united with S.Mary Mag,
> Munster Square.
> *Foundling Hospital Chapel, Guilford Street [non-parochial] - baptisms.
> *Holy Cross, Cromer Street, Gray's Inn Road [district chapelry, 1876
parish
> 1888] still in use. 1935 parish united to St.Jude and St.Peter.
> *Holy Trinity, Clarence Way, Haverstock Hill [1850/52] still in use
> *St.Andrew, Maldon Road, Haverstock Hill [1865] blitzed and demolished
1955.
> 1953 Parish united to St.Martin.
> **Mission Church of Good Shepherd [mission church to above]
> *St.Silas, Shipton Place (now St.Silas Place) Prince of Wales Road/Maldon
> Road [1912] still in use
> *St.Anne, Brookfield, Highgate Rise (now Highgate West Hill) [1853] still
> in use
> *St.Barnabas, Kentish Town Road [1880/84] from 1957 St.Andrew's Greek
> Orthodox
> Cathedral, 1957 parish united with Holy Trinity Clarence Way.
> *St.Benet and All Saints Lady Margaret Road, Kentish,Town. [1881/85] still
> in
> use
> *St.Mary, Brookfield, Dartmouth Park Hill [1875/77] still in use
> *St.Bartholomew, Gray's Inn Road [1860 ] destroyed in blitz. 1959 parish
> united to St.George the Martyr (see Holborn list)
> *St. James, Hampstead Road [1791, cemetery chapel for St.James
Piccadilly's
> "new" cemetery, parish church 1864] now demolished. 1954 parish united to
> [New] St.Pancras.
> *Kentish Town Parish Church [St.John the Baptist] Highgate Road [from
> 1449-1784 the Kentish Town chapel-of-ease to St.Pancras stood in Kentish
> Town Road (site at nos.205-213) replaced in 1784 by this church in
Highgate
> Road which became a separate parish in 1863. It disappears from the
records
> 1993/4 and I do not know what has happened to it!
> *St.John Evangelist, Charlotte Street, Fitzroy Square. [1847/1852- began
as
> Fitzroy Chapel??, 1852 'Upper Charlotte Street', from 1868 'Fitzroy Square
> St.John']] now gone - when ?? 1904 Parish united with St.Saviour Fitzroy
> Square.
> *St.Jude, Gray's Inn Road [1847, 1863] closed 1935, demolished 1936.
Parish
> united to Holy Cross. Some of the fittings went to Holy Cross.
> *St Luke, Oseney Crescent, New Kentish Town [1869] 1956 parish united to
> St.Paul Camden Square.Church closed,
> *St Mark, (Prince) Albert Road, Regents Park [1853] still in use
> *St.Martin, Vicar's Road, Kentish Town [1864] still in use
> *St.Mary Magdalene, Munster Square [1852] Still in use
> *St.Mary Somers Town (Seymour Street, Euston Square, Eversholt Street)
> [1852] still in use
> *St.Matthew, Oakley Square, Bedford New Town [1852] 1956 parish united to
> Old St.Pancras.Church demolished 1980s,
> *St Michael, Camden Road [1881] still in use
> *St.Paul, Camden Square, Camden New Town [1869?] still in use, replaced by
> modern 1970s
> hall-church
> *St.Peter, Regent Square [1826,district chapelry 1851,separate parish
1868]
> blitzed. 1954 parish united to Holy Cross
> *St.Saviour, London Street, Fitzroy Square [1865] 1904 par united to
St.John
> Fitzroy Square. Church now gone - when?
> *St.Thomas, Agar Town [Wrotham Road] [1864] damaged in war. Now
demolished.
> 1954 Parish united to St.Michael's Camden Road.
>
>
> INSTITUTIONS WITH ANGLICAN CHAPELS/CHAPLAINS :
> St.Pancras Workhouse ;
> St.Pancras Infirmary, Dartmouth Park Hill ;
> Parochial Cemetery at Finchley ;
> University College Hospital ;
> Royal Foundation of St.Katharine [1148] only religious house to survive
> dissolution of monasteries. site next to Tower acquired for St.Katharine's
> Dock 1825-26 and St.Katharine's moved to Regents Park. WW1 chapel became
> principal Danish Church for London. After WW2 St.Katherine's Foundation
> moved to Ratcliffe.
> Central London Infirmary, Cleveland Street ;
> Boys' Home, Regent's Park Road ;
> Home and Colonial Training College, Gray's Inn Road ;
> North London Collegiate School;
> St.Saviour's Cancer Hospital, Osnaburgh Street ;
> Queen Charlotte's Hospital ;
> St.Martin's Almshouses, Bayham Street, Camden Town;
> Nursing Instution, University College Hospital.
> A reminder that some good sites for London Streets past and present are:
> Godfrey maps, www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk and
> Maps 1666-1934 - CD from http://www.archivecdbooks.com
> Lost and renamed streets
> http://www.gendocs.demon.co.uk/lon-str.html
> and www.lost-london.inuk.com
>
> Streets today http://www.streetmap.co.uk/
> and http://uk.multimap.com/map/places
>
> Map 1827 http://www.bathspa.ac.uk/greenwood/home.html
> Map 1859: http://www.ph.ucla.edu/epi/snow/1859map/map1859.html
> Map 1862: http://www.motco.com/
> Map 1889 http://www.umich.edu/~risotto/maxzooms/sw/swe910.html
> Map 1899 http://booth.lse.ac.uk
> Some City parishes http://www.londonancestor.com/maps.html
>
> Cheers
>
> John Henley
> (still catching up on masses of emails )
> using Archive CDs - see
> http://www.archivecdbooks.com
> and researching (and not finding much time for - but always very glad to
> hear of any)
> HENLEY, PARKER, PRENTICE, SECKER, RAPER, DURDEN
> [IN London/Middx./Essex/Suffolk]
> ROLFE, (O)RAFFERTY, EVANS, PARSONS, SYMONDS [IN Berks/Hants/Wilts]
> HILL [IN Staffs/Cambs/Berks]
>
> ______________________________


This thread: