LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2004-01 > 1074137382

From: "Maureen" <>
Subject: [Lon] Occupation 'windster'
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:29:42 +1100

I was looking at the The Proceeding of the Old Bailey and out of
curiosity I did a Keyword Search and came up with 9 hits.

It would appear to be an occupation associated with the silk industry.

Doing a Keyword Search in The Proceedings of the Old Bailey
http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/search/keyword/

1.
Jonathan Strong . I am a weaver by trade; I have known the prisoner
about 7 or 8 months, she is an engine windster, that is, she winds silk
for weavers; she did live in my house, ...........

2.
I have known Mary Abbott between eleven and twelve years; she always
bore a very honest character; I am a silk windster; ........

3.
Ann Cole. ........ I am an engine windster, in Spicer-street,
..........., when I returned the prisoner was gone, and had taken my
apron, a flat iron and eight ounces of silk out of the drawer.

4.
I live in Spicer-street, Brick-lane; I am a four-swift engine windster:
last twelfth day the prisoner worked with me; on the next day, while I
was gone to the warehouse, she went away, and I missed five ounces of
silk.

5.
I am an engine windster. ...............

6.
I am a windster by trade, a weaver by rights, only I have no work to do;
I am a married woman, I live in Webb Square, Shoreditch, in the lower
apartments.

7.
Court. What is your mother? - She is an engine-windster by trade.

8.
I am a silk windster ; I work for Mr. Taylor ................. I have
known the prisoner between two and three years, he is a weaver.

9.
I am an engine windster. ...................

Hope that helps,
Maureen

This thread: