LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2004-06 > 1086975491

From: "Jeanne McC" <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Wartime memories
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:43:36 +0100

The V1's.......probably the worst torture on earth.
One night we heard one approaching....I (at 8yrs old) dived for the
"Morrison" shelter in our sitting room....Mum was getting my baby sister out
of her cot upstairs.....got to the top of the stairs.....V1 stops - right
overhead!!! Mum's knees like jelly....freezes.........V1 starts up again
and goes on it's merry way. Big relief (understatement) all round...then
guilt because although *we* were O.K. some other poor ****** got it. Ring
any bells?
Jeanne (now safe, thankful and in the depths of England's beautiful country)