LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2004-07 > 1090950223

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: Subj: [Lon] Gale's Public and Academic Database Trial- can't get access
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:43:43 +0100

In message <>, writes
>Hi Everyone
>Is anyone else having trouble accessing this site using the passworeds kindly
>given by another listener?
>Every time I try to enter the site it just goes around in circles
This was mever meant to be a public access site. That access ended on
July 1.
The small trial site was apparently set up for access by academic
libraries only, using a 'secure' password. The exercise was to test a
new method before it was offered to the public. Someone leaked the
password and someone else, rather rashly, not only used the password
without being one of the trial academics, but blabbed it around the net,
where you presumably saw it. This came to the attention of Gale, running
the trial, who naturally stopped up the 'hole' by changing the password.

>telling me
>I'm not autherised
that is the point

--