LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2004-07 > 1091053765

From: "Songbird" <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Round about a pound a week
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:29:26 +0100

I was told by my mother, who is, sadly, no longer living so I
can't double check, that her father earned 18/- a week.
He was a postal letter sorter, he had seven children, his wife
and two of her siblings to look after.
The children didn't go hungry and they were always clean & tidily
dressed. When they went to Mass on Sunday they were always told
"Hold hands, and don't go near the railings!" They lived in
Rosebery Avenue, Islington, two doors from Sadlers Wells Theatre.
Strangely enough I became an opera singer, but never at Sadlers
Wells. My grandfather was a chorister in a City Church for fifty
years as was his brother and nephew, who sang at Covent Garden at
12 years old with Gigli in Tosca.
My grandfather was a strict disciplinarian, what a pity that
times have changed!
An example of a working class family who kept their heads held
high on less than a pound a week.
Josi