LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2004-10 > 1098393196

From: "Frederick \(Rick\) Maskell" <>
Subject: Kensington Workhouse
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:13:16 +0100

Dear Listers,

Can some kind person enlighten me about Kensington Workhouse?

My grandfather's birth certificate says that he was born in 1863 in "Workhouse". The father space is blank, but the mother's residence is given as "Workhouse Kensington". Is it possible that she was living there in 1861?

A Google search put the workhouse in Marloes Road which I have found on an old Geographers' London Atlas, and a large building called Institution can be seen there. I have looked for this workhouse and Marloes Road in the 1861 Census, but haven't yet found it.

Anybody know which file this workhouse is on, and would the inmates be listed?

Thanking you all in advance,

Frederick (Rick) Maskell

This thread: