LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2005-01 > 1105486902

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Alfred BURBIDGE Architect
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:41:42 +0000

In message <>,
JOANNA BLATCHLEY <> writes
>Hi Jean
>I'm afraid there are no Architects named Burbidge in
>either the 1902 PO London Directory or the 1902
>Kelly's London Suburban Directory (Northern
>Districts). Maybe he worked for someone else so
>wouldn't be listed.

see if you can find him in the 1901 census (index free, on line). He is
likely to be described as a builder then. There were only a few what
you might call 'proper' architects, of the sort who designed cathedrals
and corn exchanges. Those who worked locally tended to be members of
building firms.

--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society