LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2005-06 > 1118144860

From: "Keith NZ" <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] IGI
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 23:47:40 +1200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Edwin and Cornelia Moore" <>
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 6:14 PM

>I apologise if you think I was harsh, however, the BMD has been adding
> records from the beginning, whereas FreeReg has not. I would volunteer,
> but
> I happen to be in the Northwest USA with no access to English records
> except
> via internet and snailmail....and 'film and fiche are available through
> the
> Mormon Library. I work most of the time, though from home, but on a fairly
> fixed minimal income I can't afford to order scads of film even for my own
> research-though I'd dearly love to.

If you volunteer to assist FreeBMD or FreeCEN it will mean that others will
get around to FreeREG all that sooner. The first two require that to only
need to have a computer to do the transcription work. Scans can be sent to
you to work from, or you can download the GRO index pages from FreeBMD. All
three are supported by non paid transcribers, and the transcription work
will take as long as it takes.

FreeBMD is expected to be fully transcribed 1837 - 1911 by part way through
2007. FreeCEN will be ongoing for at least another 20 years unless more
transcribers make themselves available. FreeReg has a huge task ahead of it.

Many county family history societies have indexed CoE plus non CoE church,
records, and sell the information. It would be worthwhile checking with the
society that covers your area of interest to see if they have the data you
seek.

In 1992 I was thankfull for :

The 1988 IGI on microfiche
Non indexed pre 1891 census films
Parish records on microfilm, non indexed
The GRO indexes 1837 - 1900 on microfiche
Misc. county publications

Now I sit behind this square screen with access to all census years 1861 -
1901 indexed, the IGI, GRO indexes 1837 - 2002, and more, without leaving
home.

Keith Wellington, NZ
A FreeCEN transcriber

This thread: