LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2005-07 > 1121274944

From: "Kenny Hart" <>
Subject: ODDBOY + St. Dunstans in the West - Church of convenience?
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:15:44 +0100

Could any knowledgeable lister please tell me if St. Dustan's in
the West, Fleet Street, was considered to be a "Church of convenience"? I
have a marriage of James ODDBOY & Mary MOORE on 10 Sep 1805 where they were
recorded as B.O.T.P. which I strongly suspect is a bit of "a little white
lie".
I have picked up Mary Oddboy in the 1861 [still searching 1841 /
51] census where she is recorded as a 72 year old widow with son, George and
daughter, Ann Brown. This would make her age about 15 in 1805 which, whilst
still of a Legal age, there is no mention of any "consent of father /
anyone". James would have been about 22.

Also, four baptisms for James / Mary ODDBOY have been found on the
IGI, 3 between 1810 - 1833 [last one possibly an Adult baptism] at Saint
Marylebone and one at the Lying In Hospital Endell Street, Holborn in 1815.
But, "Murphy's Law" kicks in and the two baptisms I'm desperately trying to
find [ Henry ODDBOY b c1822, born variously Marylebone / St. Pancras /
Bloomsbury & George ODDBOY b c 1825, born in the St. Pancras area] are
nowhere to be found. I have Henry & family in every census from 1851- 1901
plus George in 1861 & 1881 but if anyone comes across any reference,
especially pre 1851, [ I am always reviewing FreeBMD ] to any ODDBOY [or
spelling variations] I will be very grateful if you could pass it on.

Thanks in advance

Best wishes

Pat & Kenny Hart in Sussex

Researching in London: