LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2005-07 > 1122205259

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Looking for a book
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:40:59 +0100

In message <091401c58f65$887eb000$>, Sue Given
<> writes
>Hi,
>
>We are looking for a book called "The World Book of Corfes", don't know when it
>was printed, but the cost was $49.90 Australian, plus postage.

Don't - it is sheer junk, produced by a conman, who talked a=good money
out of people's pockets in retun for a very simplistic few pages on how
everybody had ancestoprs, surprise surprise, and then a few pages of out
of dates addresses, and lists culled from old phone books (long dead
subscribers, eople moved away etc_) Oh, and your very own photo of Mr
Harry Baker (the hyphen is adopted later) and a cornfed looking American
family, which seems to be identical in the various books I have seen,
whatever their claimed surname. And a coat of arms (nothing to do with
the family, just for a person whose name was vaguely similar, or started
with the same letter.)
It was an expensive way of buying a telephone directory listing which
could be obtained free online. Everyone who bought these 'books; was
pretty annioyed about it, and 'refunds' were offered but I do not know
of anyone who got one.

Not having this book is not exactly depriving you of anything - even a
good laugh at being taken in. Brooks Baker is dead and only his widow
had a good word to say for him, even in the usually saccharine
obituaries.

--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society