LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2005-08 > 1124523405

From: "David Halliday" <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] How far do you branch?
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:36:45 +1000

>I would like to know how far you branch out when researching?
> Do you just follow the direct links?
> By that I mean find who the children married but dont follow the new name?
> Interested to hear what the "norm" is.
> regards
> Kim (New Zealand)

Hi Kim,

You'll be getting lots of interesting ideas from experienced Listers on who
they look for and where they go.

But dare I suggest that there is another way you could look at this
pursuit/hobby/obsession -

How much time do you want to devote to it?

Pat devotes more time than I do - and therefore follows branches all over
the place. For me, this is just a pleasant diversion amongst many other
interests that I have, which occupy more time.

So - I just follow up the interesting ones amongst my forebears (you know -
murderers, convicts, bigamists, entertainers, eccentrics etc.)

I think I've got the French for it right - "A chaque un, son gout".

Regards

David of Oz

This thread: