LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2005-08 > 1124530169

From: "lesley chaney" <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] How far do you branch?
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 10:29:29 +0100

Hi Kim,

The one golden rule I have for myself is to be as sure as I possibly can be
that I have the direct ancestors all correct. I doubt I will live long
enough to go wandering up the wrong trees! I see the direct line as like
the spine, and the siblings and their families as the ribs. Get the spine
straight and the rest should be right too.

That said, I find the research tends to find its own way. One line seems to
go "hot" for a while, so I follow that until it goes cold and then another
one will go "hot". It's a bit haphazard, I suppose, but it works for me.
And we can all get sidetracked by someone we discover who is just too
interesting to let go.

It's your hobby so do it in the way that gives you the most interest,
challenge and pleasure. But check, check, check to be sure you are climbing
the right tree.

HTH
Lesley in East Leics