LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2005-12 > 1135291433

From: "Ida Cleaver" <>
Subject: O/T Table Manners
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:53:36 -0800

Just to throw another spanner in the works - when did Afternoon Tea start to
be called High Tea?

When I was young in England 'High Tea' was a sort of cold supper but
nowadays people speak reverantly about having 'High Tea' when they mean the
normal sandwiches & cakes type.

Also I've noticed lately that tables are being laid with the sharp edge of
the knife pointing to the right instead of towards the left.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.