LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2005-12 > 1135291433

From: "Ida Cleaver" <>
Subject: O/T Table Manners
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:53:36 -0800

Just to throw another spanner in the works - when did Afternoon Tea start to
be called High Tea?

When I was young in England 'High Tea' was a sort of cold supper but
nowadays people speak reverantly about having 'High Tea' when they mean the
normal sandwiches & cakes type.

Also I've noticed lately that tables are being laid with the sharp edge of
the knife pointing to the right instead of towards the left.

Ida