LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2006-03 > 1143790238

From: Anne Peat <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Death Inquests held in Pubs
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 08:32:40 +0100

Moira,
I don't think you can infer anything from the fact that the inquest was
held in a pub.
I think they tended to be held in the nearest available 'public' space
at that time.

Here is another report from about the same time
> On Thursday, Mr. Stirling, the coroner, and a respectable jury,
> assembled at the Elephant and Castle public house, Pancras road, St.
> Pancras, to inquire touching the death of Mrs. Maria Broughton, a
> respectable and independent lady, aged 78, who came to her death in
> consequence of throwing herself into the Regent's Canal.

In the recent TV production of Dicken's Bleak House, both the inquests
( Into Nemo, and the revolting money lender) were shown as being held
in a local pub - and i am sure they went to great lengths to make it
authentic.

HTH
Anne
On 31 Mar 2006, at 08:22, Mo Fid wrote:

> Hi Everyone
> I have found a report in the Times Newspaper of an inquest held in to
> the death of a waterman in September 1827 after the Wherry he was in
> was struck by a Steam Packet, capsized and he drowned. The incident
> took place near the Tower and Pickle Herring Stairs
> I am interested in the report as the other man involved, who survived,
> could be an ancestor.
> Do you think anything can be inferred by the fact that the inquest was
> held at the sign of the Waterman's Arms public house Dockhead in
> Bermondsey?
> Were impromptu inquests often held at public places such as Pubs near
> where the deceased and witnesses lived?.
> My ancestor Thomas Owen came from Bermondsey but unfortunately the
> report does not state where either of the men came from.
> Does anyone have any suggestions how I can prove that this might be MY
> Thomas Owen?
> The report stated that he was 17 years old. Census for my Thomas make
> him roughly the right age to be this man
> many regards
> MOIRA

This thread: