LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2006-03 > 1143846259

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Death Inquests held in Pubs
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 00:04:19 +0100

In message <004b01c654eb$ed43a940$>, Marion Clare
<> writes
>Now I'm confused. In the case of my g.grandmother, the body was taken from
>her home where she was pronounced dead, to the workhouse where an autopsy
>was done by the coroner.

It was farily unusual for the coroner to be a doctor - he was often a
solicitor or just a clerical official, who took evidence from a doctor.
The dying woman was presumably taken to the Workhouse infirmary for
treatment (because she was a poor person) but she died afterwards and
she was buried as a pauper. If the cause of death was obvious and
external, there would not necessarily have been an autopsy - only if the
casue was, say, poisoning, and difficult to determine from external
inspection.
Inquests were normally held very quickly then - and had to be in public.
So the body could be present, as in the case of a drowned man, or
somewhere adjacent in case the cause was dispited. The jury would
usually view it anyway. - your case must have attracted a lot of public
interest,. so a large room was needed for the inquest.

--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society

This thread: