LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2006-04 > 1144100533

From: Gen Mail <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Apprenticeship records
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 22:42:13 +0100

On Monday, Apr 3, 2006, at 12:56 Europe/London, Eve McLaughlin wrote:

> In message <000701c656c5$7986c7e0$>, Linda Fiorentino
> <> writes
>> Hi to all
>>
>> Would SKS please be able to tell me how I would go about finding
>> apprenticeship records for my missing Thomas?
>
> With great difficulty. Apprenticeship records were taxed to 1811
> (records to 1808) but after that, apart fgrom the high flyers whose
> apprenticeship bindings are recorded by the London livery companies,

My spouse's very non high-flying great grandfather was apprenticed in
the Shipwrights Company in August 1844 and became Free on 29 April 1852

Another seemingly run-of the-mill apprentice was James Burford, the
son of a Labourer in Kingsland Road, who was apprenticed to George
McKewan, Citizen and Spectaclemaker on 23 April 1841(information from
the Register of Apprentice 'Inrolments', formerly at the Corporation of
London Record Office, but currently at the LMA)

Jay

This thread: