LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2007-01 > 1168445246

From: "Cllr.Peter Herrington" <>
Subject: Re: [LON] Can SKS take a photo of this address in Chingford?
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:07:26 +0000

Mike,

I am afraid that Station Road was not High Street but Maddox Lane.

Chingford used to have both a Low and a High Street being at the bottom
and the top of the hill.
Low Street is now Sewardstone Road and High Street is, you've guessed
it, The Ridgeway!
The name was changed in 1914.
High Street had been in use since before 1847, but in 1800 it was
described as Church Road.

Info from The Street Names of Waltham Forest - Volume 2 - CHINGFORD by
J M Hayward(1979)
Published by LBWF Libraries and Arts Dept.

I will walk the dog that way tomorrow and see if any house still
carries the name.

Peter in Dale View Crescent (400 yards away)

>>> Mike Shingleton <> 01/07/07 5:30 pm >>>
Louise

I live a couple of miles away and if you can wait for a fine day when
I have some free time, I would be happy to take a stroll up there with
my camera.

However I would want to try and narrow down where this
house is/was beforehand as Chingford High Street no longer exists and
I suspect it was re-named (probably as Station Road).

talk soon

Mike Shingleton