LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2007-01 > 1169841100

Subject: [LON] Tower Hamlets
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 19:51:40 +0000

Hello J H,
If it did hold an obitury I would think the East London Advertiser
would have been the paper used copies of these are held in the Tower Hamlets
Archives.
The Cemetary possibly was the Tower hamlets Cemetary opend in
1841
closed for graves in 1966 up to I think 2001 when it became the Tower Hamlets
Nature Reserve.
Historicly Stepney covered the Tower of London and Hackney this would
have included all the Isle of Dogs, Mile End, Whitechapel, Spittlefields,
Hackney Marshes, not Hoxton , Haggerston, or Stoke Newington, it was in about
the 1600s when the Wentworth family, the first lay lords of the manor held
all the land that the Parliament of the time took Hackney away from the family.
In 1965 the GLC changed the boundaries that then went down the middle
of Hackney Road, and took part of Hackney back under Tower Hamlets including
Victoria Park the area then became known as Tower Hamlets, Shoreditch then
became part of Hackney.
Thanks Pete a kid from Shoreditch.

Tiscali Broadband only 9.99 a month for your first 3 months!