LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2007-01 > 1169988283

From: "David Railton" <>
Subject: [LON] Help with London location
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 12:44:43 -0000

Can someone on the list please help me with a London location?

I have a copy of a will of a David Vanderheyden made in 1821. In this will
he leaves most of his estate to Anne Grain living at No 3 Devonshire Street
Portland Place. Anne Grain's will of 1850 also refers to her as being late
of this address.

I have looked at the 1851 census and found an Elizabeth Vanderheyden living
at 3, Devonshire Street (Piece: 1513; Folio: 111; Page: 3). This must,
almost certainly, be a relation of David Vanderheyden. The problem is that
the census states that this Devonshire Street is in the parish of St George
the Martyr in the borough of Finsbury.

I know that St George the Martyr is St George's, Holborn at Queen Square but
is this not too far to the east to be the parish for Portland Place? I also
thought that Queen Square was in Bloomsbury not Holborn which I had imagined
would be the Holborn Circus area.

I also thought that Finsbury was further to the east again - Finsbury Circus
area.

I can't find another Devonshire Street in London other than the one off
Portland Place. I also find it very difficult to believe the coincidence of
their being two addresses the same and one man knowing or related to people
at both!

Can anyone please help me with my geography?

David

This thread: