LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2007-01 > 1170145606

Subject: [LON] MASLIN/(MASLEN)/NICOLL puzzle
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 03:26:46 EST

My greatgrandparents were John Maslen and Jane Haines , they were born in
Wiltshire , married Berkshire and sometime between 1874/1879 they moved into
the London area . In 1881 they are living Ewart Road Lewisham with 6 children ,
5 children born Berkshire and the 6th George was born Forest Hill 1879 ish .

Now my puzzle begins , in 1884 one of John and Janes daughters Elizabeth
Mary married a David John Nicoll (I have cert ) , then when looking for the
family on the 1891 census this is what I found ,
Living Islington was David J Nicoll with wife Jane ? . a son David aged 6
and 2 stepchildren Kate Maslen and George Maslen . The Jane is definately my
Jane Maslen but she is listed as NICOLL , I cannot find Elizabeth Mary at all
but presume that the son David is hers because of the age etc , he is 6 in
1891 and they married 1884. So why is my great grandmother living there as a
NICOLL ???? My great grandfather is living on his own in Lewisham , definatley
him , right age right birth palce etc .
Then on to 1901 Jane is then listed as a MASELIN Widowed ! and living
Bethnal Green with her son George . My ggrandfather John is still on his own in
Lewisham , still saying he is married , he actually died in 1903 .

Any ideas anyone ???

Many thanks Valerie

This thread: