LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2007-11 > 1196454351

From: Firebird <>
Subject: Re: [LON] Deed Poll info
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 20:28:50 +0000

Seemark wrote:

> I have just received a copy of a will from 1947 which states the
> person (female) to whom everything was left had changed her surname
> by deedpoll to his. I don't know how to go about checking records
> for this and as I don't have a date for the event wouldn't know
> where to start. However, if I did decide to pursue the matter
> further, what sort of information could I expect to find?

All a deed poll will tell you is that <name> of <address> wishes to be
known as <name> as of <date> or words to that effect, nothing more.
There'd be not details about her parents, siblings or any children she
might have.

You might be able to find the date of the change in the London Gazette
by putting either her original or her new surname in the search box.

This thread: