LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2008-03 > 1206313603


From: "Judy Lester" <>
Subject: Re: [LON] Printers Almshouses, Wood Green
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 23:06:43 -0000
In-Reply-To: <47E6D447.6030902@family-hunter.co.uk>


Charani,

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~treevecwll/wgalms.htm
WOOD GREEN
CHARITIES AND BENEFACTIONS
A Collection of Transcriptions and Historical Accounts
PRINTERS' ALMSHOUSES
These almshouses, which were intended to form a refuge for aged and
enfeebled printers, are situated at Church Hill, High Road. The buildings
consist of a central block, with two wings, and there is a yard, or garden,
in front. The centre and one wing were built at the expense of the printing
trade; the other side, which is known as "Maria's Wing", was erected from a
legacy left by a Mrs. Wright. The almshouses accommodate 32 printers and
widows. Mr. Biggs, the founder of the "Family Herald", when he died in 1860,
left £15,000, the interest of which was to be divided among 42 printers in
pensions of £10 each. This is known as Biggs' Charity, and is managed by
the council of the Printers' Corporation. An account of a visit to these
almshouses is given in the "Sunday at Home" 1884. The foundation stone of
the first building was laid June 11, 1849. On the stone and brass plate
fixed over the coins deposited therein was the following inscription:-
"Printers' Almshouses. This first stone was laid by Philip Henry Lord
Viscount Mahon, M.P., on Monday June 11, 1849" - followed by the names of
the treasurer, trustees, secretary and architect. The freehold ground cost
£612, and the expense of the building about £1,800. In the evening after
the stone-laying a meeting was held at the London Tavern, when about 300
ladies and gentlemen were present; at this meeting donations amounting to
nearly £500 were promised; in addition to this Messrs. Clowes gave £105. In
"Illustrated London News", June 21, 1856, appears an account of these
almshouses, the inauguration having taken place the previous week. It is
stated that "on the day preceding the opening of the almshouses, a
neighbouring Quaker lady (an acquaintance of Elizabeth Fry), rapidly
approaching three score and ten, visited the institution, and having
inspected the building, presented each of the newly-elected inmates with
five shillings, and directed them to send to her residence every other
morning for a supply of new milk" . The subscriptions connected with the
festival exceeded £670.

HTH

Judy
London, UK


-----Original Message-----
From: [mailto:] On
Behalf Of Charani

Does anyone know where the Printers Almshouses in "the picturesque
suburb of Wood Green" (N London) stand or stood please? It dates from
around the 1860s.



This thread: